Upgraded to 5DMkII... sell 20D or keep as backup?

Started Jan 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
darrellc
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
Upgraded to 5DMkII... sell 20D or keep as backup?
Jan 22, 2009

I recently upgraded from a 20D to the 5DMkII with the intent of retaining the 20D as a backup body and perhaps use for crop factor to give more flexibility with my lenses and get more reach at the tele end.

Based on the VAST improvements I'm seeing in IQ, high ISO perf and AF improvements over several thousand shots locally and in travels to Hawaii and Europe with the 5DII, combined with usability improvements (finally a real viewfinder like in film days) I am now loathe to use the 20D.

My current lens lineup is 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 70-200/4 IS (awesome lens). I sold EFS 10-22 (pretty good) and 17-85 (yucky poo) and have penciled in 24/1.4L (don't like 24/2.8 on FF now, was great on crop) or Zeiss 21/2.8 when it comes out and 35/1.4L and am waiting/hoping for rev of 24-70 with IS.

I'm interested in others perspective and personal experience on whether it is worth keeping the 20D as a backup body, or if there are specific circumstances where it would make sense to leave the 5D home and bring the 20D.

$ is not a key decision driver - if I destroyed the 5DII I'd just buy another one, but if it is just going to sit in my drawer 99% of the time, I'm thinking I sell and apply the funds to more glass.

Thoughts, experiences...?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow