Started Jan 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrdu
Forum ProPosts: 20,836
Like?
What made you become a photographer?
Jan 21, 2009

How did you get involved in this hobby, art, passtime or career?

I was 55 when I bought my first camera. I was going to get an Olympus 4040, because I like small things, and I heard that Olympus made small cameras. I asked a photographer friend for advice, and he pointed me towards dpreview. When I got here, enthusiasm for the 4040 was lukewarm, but the guys on the Sony forum were loving their 707, so I got one, and started in to enjoy this activity.

I was married for 26 years, and during that time my wife took all the photos. I never liked to compete with her, so I was a writer during those years.

When I was younger, I studied fine arts, and I had many painter friends who also were into photography. I was very interested in their work, but sometimes, because I was a drama major, I would pose for them, instead of getting involved behind the camera.

The first time I can remember being amazed by the power of a photograph, was when I saw a black and white portrait of my friend in grade 10. The photo was taken with side lighting from a window, and it made my friend look so dramatic and handsome. I think I'm still trying to emulate that photo.
--
John Dunn
Portraits: http://www.fototime.com/users/jrdu@yahoo.com/Portraits

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow