Started Jan 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiedodson
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
5DII AF is amazingly good for pro tennis
Jan 21, 2009

I am working as a photographer at the Australian Open. I don't normally shoot sports except for catalogue 'lifestyle' images for my sport company clients - mostly I do product photography in the studio, jazz concerts in low light and graphic design for catalogues and other marketing material.

I can't justify a sports camera aswell as a studio camera - so have had a 5D for a few years and now the 5DII.

Last year I photographed at the Aussie Open for a high profile tennis magazine, with the 5D knowing the hit rate would be low but that I would get at least a few good quality images from each match. I shot jpeg knowing my photoshop skills are pretty good and that I could get them looking nice (and to save space for thousands of pics) I was generally dissapointed at how many pics came out sharp and in focus (even with a 300mm F/2.8 IS) I've also shot pro cycling plenty of times with a 5D with similar dissapointment overall (but a few great pics here and there)

So far I'm amazed at the difference in AF accuracy of the 5DII using the same lens with almost all photos in perfect focus - the ones that aren't are my fault or unlucky (ball in focus not player) This year I'm shooting raw and jpeg - raw is certainly a great deal better than the jpegs but the jpegs could be worked up well enough if needed in photoshop as there is plenty of hidden detail in there... (I'm actually converting raw into Adobe DNG though and then processing in CS3 for best results)

I've seen people post on great 5DII tracking accuracy here before - even though it is seemingly the same AF system as the 5D on paper - it is certailny not the same in practice with the new processor - I'm very impressed. I considered the AF system to be a weak link for the 5DII going by past experience but now certainly not...

I have hundreds of shots and will post some soon when I have time to process them.
--
'high IQ'

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow