Started Jan 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KentPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
A test of 5D v. 5D Mark II
Jan 19, 2009

For those of you who are interested in the difference between the 5D and the 5D Mark II, this weekend I took the 5D Mark II for a brief test drive (rented it from Calumet) and shot it side by side with my 5D. The full resolution shots are available at links below. They are shot a few moments apart, at ISO 100, on the same lens (Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS) at the same focus point. The lens was on the tripod and didn't move, I just switched the bodies. Both images were processed as 16-bit TIFF files through DPP, sharpening set at 0, neutral color/picture style, then converted to JPEGs in PS CS3 at compression of 12 (highest quality, and probably overkill for anything over 10 but still at the max). For someone like me (gallery and fine art work printed at 16x20 and larger), the 5D Mark II was seemingly designed by my checklist of desires. I'm posting these, not because they are great shots, or because I'm trying to convince anyone of anything, but just so people who aren't able to rent before buying can make their own decisions.

The 5D Mark II original:

http://www.pbase.com/kfwphotos/image/108315263

The 5D original:

http://www.pbase.com/kfwphotos/image/108315382

(BTW, I did some low light shooting and the 5D Mark II gives ISO 3200 that is slightly better than the 5D's ISO 1600, at least to my eye, which makes 6400 usable in a pinch, too. I'm not considering a switch to Nikon because I need the MP for prints and the 5D Mk II is the more economical choice given my inventory of Canon lenses. But to each their own...)

-- hide signature --

'The humble improve' -Wynton Marsalis

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KentNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow