ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigbadlemon
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
5D Oil and sensor cleaning
Jan 19, 2009

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before, but here goes -

My 5D is showing oil/grime on the sensor (or the filter in front of the sensor to be exact) and I've been in to 3 shops in Reading and non of them will touch the 5D for sensor cleaning - all say that the 5D is a known issue with oil from the shutter mechanism splashing back onto the sensor so they don't clean theem anymore due to the number of 'returns' they get - ie customers unhappy that after they have had it cleaned it's dirty again, sometimes even just by pressing the shutter in the shop after checking that the work was carried out correctly the first time.

I called the Canon service centre in Hertfordshire and asked them if this was a known fault - they said no. Can this be true? Forums are full of these reported problems - how can they not know? or is this a case of usual forum 'hot air'?

They said that the price of a 5D sensor clean including postage is £30. Is that a good deal?

My question is: Is that a worthwhile price or is the difficulty of cleaning the sensor so easy and risk free that it's a waste of money? Please, only if you've actually 'done' a sensor clean could you reply - the internet is full of people terrified that they will destroy thier camera if they touch the sensor cover that it's hard to get any objective advice.

And for those who have cleaned it - will a cotton bud lightly rubbed across the oil/grime do the trick, in combination with a blulb blower? Or do I need to spend loads on cleaning products to performa 'wet' clean? If so, any cheap reliable suggestions?

Cheers all!

-- hide signature --

http://www.LIGHTmatter.co.uk

Portrait Fashion Beauty Photography

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow