Started Jan 17, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,991Gear list
Like?
Circuit City Was Good to Me
Jan 17, 2009

Like so many other familiar shopping outlets, Circuit City is disappearing from the U.S. landscape. The funeral services will begin tomorrow as the liquidators move in, the big going-out-of-business signs are slapped across the doorways, and reminders are posted that checks will not be accepted.

I hate these events. To me these corporate vultures pick the bones off the dying companies they briefly serve. It's so regimented. Like itinerant contractors, they wander from dying company to dying company. Do their jobs and disappear. They have no investment in the products or the people behind them. They certainly care nothing for the bargain hunters that rush through the doors for a few dollars of savings.

I bought my Panasonic FZ20, then my D50, D70s, and D80 at Circuit City. My HP Officejet T45 came from the big red store. So did my early computers. They took things back when I wasn't happy and were always interested in keeping me satisfied. Well, there was one store manager who was less than accommodating, but his errors in judgement were offset by his replacement who really did something magnanimous.

I had a gift certificate for Circuit City and really wanted a Sony DVD player a few years ago that only was offered at Best Buy, across the street. The manager, having the discretion to do such a gesture, went over to the blue store, bought the Sony player with money from his petty cash fund, and then sold it to me, using my gift certificate. I was in awe of him for a long time. These things just happen so rarely.

I'm sad at the Circuit City passing. It's one less supplier. It means people have one less place to shop and manufacturers have one less outlet for their products. If you think this won't affect you, think again. With fewer places to sell their models, manufacturers are likely to cut back on designs. Shelf space is more limited. Do you really think Best Buy will suddenly enlarge their store fronts?

Computer City, CompUSA, Linens & Things, HQ, The Home Store, Reading China and Glass. Add your favorite store that used to be.

So, for all of the good things that you brought to life; for all of the times you let me bring back a product that became an open box item, for the years of making Black Friday a day for rising early, I thank you Circuit City. Rest in Peace.

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow