Started Jan 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Odeo
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
D700 Issues and Observations
Jan 11, 2009

I've had the D700 for about 3 weeks now; while I've owned many Canon DSLR's, this is my first digital Nikon. I debated between the D700 and 5DMKII for a while before deciding on the D700-- it wasn't a painless choice, given the # of Canon lenses and accessories that I own. As a whole, I'm rather disappointed with the D700-- partially for features that are lacking, in other cases due to personal preferences, and, lastly, for things that don't work correctly. FYI, I'm using it with the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 G and shoot strictly in raw. I'm posting this to see if: 1) anyone else is experiecing the same issues as me; and 2) someone might have work-arounds or other suggestions. I'm sure I'l likely get grief from some devotees, so be it, as long as i get some helpful info too.

ISSUES

Camera overexposes (or inconsistently expoxes) in all metering modes, but overexposure is particularly bad (1 F-stop) for low ISO's (below 200). Hopefully, this will be addressed with a firmware fix. In the interim, I've fine-tuned the optimal exposure and use manual exposure compensation for low ISO.

• Inaccurate color reproduction (requires lots of software correction)

LACK of FEATURES

• A series of exposure bracketed shots cannot be taken automatically (e.g., in timer mode); instead, the shutter needs to be released for each one.

• Exposure bracketing limited to 1 f-stop maximum between shots; to get more than 3 total f-stops, you need to take at least 5 shots, instead of just 3.

SUBJECTIVE ASSESSMENTS (based on experience with Canons)

• Trigger much too sensistive; difficult to activate half-way.

• Mirror too loud.

Camera controls are awkwardly placed (difficult to access), requiring two hands, and or more fingers than Canon requires for the same operations.

PERSONAL BEEFS

• Lack of free editing software

• NX2 is kludgy and extremely slow

Here's to hoping that I come around and am ultimately satisfied with this investment.

Cheers,

Rob

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow