Started Jan 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
arnklit
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
2 questions on NX2 for Jason Odell
Jan 11, 2009

Well actually the question is not specifically for him, but he does come to mind as the author of a fantastic guide to Capture NX2. Thanks to this guide I now do almost 100% of editing with NX2 and hardly anythig makes its way through to Photoshop. What's missing? Well I'd love to have a plug-in like PTLENS to correct lens distorsions not only barrel and pincusion which can be dealt with to a certain extent with NX2, but also for perspective distorsion like converging lines particularly evident when tilting a WA lens upwards or downwards.

So the first question is: do you know of any plugins that can be applied to NX2 to allow the aforementioned corrections.

The problem with using PS is that the correction is not necessesarily the last step of the editing process, (usually it's not) and furthermore going back and forth from NX2 to PS involves creating TIF files which tend to litter the folders unless taken care of.

The second question regards workflow. Reading his guide I learned about Photo Mechanic which I bought right away. It is an amazing tool for culling and labelling of the photos. Quick and powerful. But what about archiving. I've been using Picasa for several years. It's free and it is lightning fast and it is capable of searching through the IPTC data introduced by PM. The problem is that it doesn't render the edits made with NX2. Rather than simply using the builtin preview JPG as PM does, it actually does a RAW conversion but only of the original NEF. So I switch off NEF's in Picasa and convert the keepers to JPG using PM. This way Picasa finds them, and with all the IPTC data imbedded. Picasa can then be used to make "virtual folders" - Labels which are so handy for making sllideshows with selections from different folders, collages and publishing on the web. The drawback of this approach is the ever growing population of Jpegs scattered around in the folders.

So the second question is: after using Photo Mechanics (or ViewNX) for ingesting, selection and labelling, and NX2 for editing, what do you actually use for cataloging?

Please anyone?

-- hide signature --

Bo Arnklit

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow