Started Jan 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clint7
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
New 50D - Very impressed with detail/resolution
Jan 8, 2009

I just got my new 50D a couple of days ago. The weather has been kind of lousy here in Upstate NY (snowy and cloudy), so I have spent that time getting to know the camera and setting it up the way I want it. I upgraded from an XT I got 2 1/2 years ago and I have to say I am thrilled. I shoot a lot of wildlife and birds and even with my Sigma 80-400 lens I usually have to do some heavy cropping - the 15MP is a big plus for croppers! After using the Microadustment for the Sigma the pictures are almost frighteningly clear and sharp. They come out of the camera a little soft (as they did from the XT), but I expect that and always post-process the RAW files to get the most out of them. The 50D photos absolutely shine with a little sharpening. Photography has been a passion of mine since I was around 8 years old (now 57). Before the digital revolution I had a chemical darkroom (B&W and color) for many years. I have owned several cameras in that time going all the way back to the Kodak Brownie series and this is far and away the nicest camera I have ever owned.

I took my first "real" photo with the 50D a few moments ago. It's a gray squirrel in my backyard. The finished photo has been cropped to about 42% of the original and is still better than a full frame from my XT. I can't believe the detail in the fur and whiskers from 30+ feet away and at this crop - and that with the Sigma wide open at f5.6 and maximum zoom. The posted photo has been resized - the original is even more impressive. Here's the pic and EXIF data:

ImageWidth - 2025
ImageLength - 1425
BitsPerSample - 8 8 8
Compression - 1 (None)
PhotometricInterpretation - 2
Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 50D
StripOffset - 22462
Orientation - Top left
SamplesPerPixel - 3
RowsPerStrip - 1425
StripByteCount - 8656875
XResolution - 300.00
YResolution - 300.00
PlanarConfiguration - 1
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
DateTime - 2009:01:08 10:42:47
ExifOffset - 22461
ExposureTime - 1/640 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2009:01:08 10:11:24
DateTimeDigitized - 2009:01:08 10:11:24
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/664 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.66
ExposureBiasValue - 0
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 400 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - Unknown (0xFFFFFFFF)
ExifImageWidth - 800
ExifImageHeight - 562
FocalPlaneXResolution - 5315.44
FocalPlaneYResolution - 5306.53
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard

-- hide signature --

Clint

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow