ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
George Aye
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
d700 and two primes strategy
Jan 7, 2009

Dear Photogs,

Does anyone rock primes anymore? I simply can't afford nor want a physically large a pro zoom lens (24-70 f2.8 for instance).

I used to have my baby D70 and a 35 f2, then went a super sized it to a Canon 1DMkIII with a 24-70 f2.8. I found that unless I was doing a real shoot, I simply stopped carrying my camera as it was enormous. 1D series with a pro zoom does not a discreet photographer make. I've since sold off everything to start from scratch and remind myself to focus on the photography and not the gear.

My strategy is thus: Get the D700 and then get one, possibly two primes. Each one will be small, light, fast and not intimidating. I'd like be shooting up close and to show context (like a photojournalist). If I ever need to shoot a concert or a wedding (which happens only occasionally) then I'll rent the zooms that I need (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) or anything else for that matter.

Any suggestions on a single prime, preferably wider than 50mm?
Any suggestions of a two prime set up?

Many thanks!

George

George Aye's gear list:George Aye's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow