Advice please: What's wrong with my 105VR?

Started Jan 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,407
Like?
Advice please: What's wrong with my 105VR?
Jan 7, 2009

Encountering strange problems with my 105VR I went back to the pro shop yesterday with some samples. They agreed it looked funny and advised me to come back tomorrow when a Nikon rep will be in house. This all the more because I have had very bad luck with the last seven pro lenses I bought/exchanged. The salesmen said they never get Nikon lenses back and one suggested I'm too critical. Could be.

In preparation I did some more testing. For the test I put the D300 on a tripod, VR off, AF Single, no MLU but I did use a remote release. When you take several images like this they should be equal, except for anything that moves. Below is an animation of two images I took two seconds apart. The animation might take some time to load. First is the full image resized to 1000 pix wide

Now please observe the buildings on the utter left first. You see the smoke move but the buildings are (almost) motionless. Now carefully look at the buildings on the far right. Uou see them go back and forth a bit.

Below 100% crops of the areas in a gif animation (unsharpened):

You can find the NEFs here:
http://cid-ed393e6f6e97aa2e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Shared/105VR%20problem

I had a similar problem with a 70-200VR. If interested you can find a very large (20MB) gif animation and NEFs here:
http://cid-ed393e6f6e97aa2e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Shared/70-200Problem

I'm curious to find if anyone else has seen this problem. It looks to me as if the VR element is not locked. As this is the second time I see this problem I'll make this test a standard test for any new VR lens...

-- hide signature --

Philip

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow