How do you determine the f-stop of a flash w/out hand held meter

Started Jan 6, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 211
How do you determine the f-stop of a flash w/out hand held meter
Jan 6, 2009

I am confused on how you go about trying to calculate how to set your flash (Canon 580EX and 430EX) to a specific F-stop without using a hand held flash meter?

I have read on the Strobist webpage and also the book the "Minimalist Lighting" that for example if you manually set your camera for the ambient light reading of say 1/60 F 8.0 then set your flash to F 5.6

I understand that your aperature controls (has a greater effect) of the quantity of light via flash and the shutter speed will control (greater effect) of the quantity the ambient light. But how can you tell what aperature/F-stop the flash output actually is?

The flash or flashes including the camera would all be in manual mode with the flashes being trigger via wireless remote (flashwaves). I have used the flashes with the off camera cord (OC-3?) and I have set various ratios (580EX set as master / 430EX set as slave) using E-TTL the cord is really too short and really limits where I can place the 530EX flash with respect to the camera and if you move to far flash and light stand moves or threatens to fall... a real pain in the backside to say the least. I think I am ready to have more control.

Is there a given starting point as far as the setting for the flash which gets you close then you just fine tune with a couple of test shots? I've read there is but how do you know where to set your flash without know what aperature it is outputing for?

Help!!! Thnx

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow