Camera makes no difference if you don't BACK UP your files

Started Dec 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
Nikko aus London
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
Drew - re. your question....
In reply to Drew Loker, Jan 5, 2009

Drew

If you decide you need DR protection then there's no choice but to move content off-site. The choice then becomes one of internet vs, sneaker net. If you have a lot of content (gigs per shoot) and an unreliable line, then physically shipping content makes more sense. DVDs to a storage location may be the best bet.

I compromise and my workflow looks like this:

1) Shoot RAW (D2Xs files are in the range 19-24 meg each);
2) Backup everything to TimeMachine local disk immediately;

3) Use PhotoMechanic to review & cull the useless shots (in my case, I lose a lot of content in this step

4) PP keepers using NX2. Save 2 copies of content: (a) full size PP'd NEFs; and (b) reduced size (max 1250 pixels across longest side) excellent quality JPEGS. These tend to average 1 meg each;

5) Allow TimeMachine to back up this content automatically (usually within the hour);
6) Import JPEGS into I-Photo;

7) Use the i-Photo plugin from here: http://aarone.org/smugmugexport/ to upload JPEGS to Smugmug for DR.

Works really well as a backup strategy, plus I have my content in i-Photo from where I generate calendars, cards, books, etc. Don't know whether anyone has used this facility but I can tell you that the output quality is fabulous.

Hope this helps.

N

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow