Started Jan 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,606
Like?
450D vs SD1000 is this a joke? Judge for yourself
Jan 3, 2009

I joined DPReview about the time I bought an XSi middle of last year. I had and still have too many Canons (6), of the point and shoot variety. I now have Panasonics as well, and I admit a Nikon D40.

When I first test drove the XSi I had the same newbie dSLR misgivings that every newbie has, namely why is it so hard and why don't my shots look better than my point and shoots.

I've moved on since then but I just came across the pics I took with my SD1000 (you know, extremely pocketable 125 grams including battery) that I took on a spectacular trail at 10,000' in Colorado (Colorado Trail starting at Kenosha Pass) as well as the exact same scenes, seconds apart with my new XSi, mostly on P (I think).

I didn't know how to post pics then (repeated requests for comparo shots I had to answer with "sorry, you're just going to have to take my word for it". Anyhoo, I'm posting some of these shots here if for no other reason to show you the genesis of my consternation, which was: why in heck do I need a dSLR to take these types of pics when my lowly SD1000 seems to do just fine.

You can cheat and check out the Exif data but just check out each comparo sets of pics and see if you can honestly say one is superior to the other. Remember---XSi, a lotta weight, a lotta bulk...SD1000---the size of a pack of cards.

Here goes:

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow