I'm seriously conserned about the 50D detail level!

Started Dec 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AmateurX
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
I'm seriously conserned about the 50D detail level!
Dec 31, 2008

The image comparison tool at imaging-resource.com is very neat as you're able to compare different cameras directly. I've been comparing a lot of cameras during the last weeks of just killing time while I'm waiting for money to purchase a DSLR setup.

My initial choices of cameras were Pentax K20D, Nikon D300, Sony A700 and Canon 50D. Then I just decided to get the 50D just because I've owned a 450D for a while and liked it quite much.

Tonight I was just killing time again and was comparing the above mentioned models at ISO 100 on the images with the doll at the coffee table.

Here's what I want you to do so you'll understand better what I mean:

1. Go to the site: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

2. Open the ISO 100 images of the doll at the coffee table (the first samples) in the following order:

Nikon D300
Sony A700
Pentax K20D
Canon 50D

Open all the images at their 100% sizes, either in tabs or in different browser windows.

As you start on the D300 and work your way trough to K20, you'll see great details at pixel level and that the Pentax is the sharpest and most detailed one. Then when you open the Canon 50D, it's like you're suddenly looking trough contaminated water or something. It's overall unsharp and the small details, like the single hair straws that show clearly on the K20D and others, are just gone or blurred out. It's almost hurtful to watch it!

First I thought that the other models are applying more sharpness by default, and that may be the case, but even applying more sharpness to these 50D samples won't get you the details that are already lost. I'm also thinking about the lenses used, but it's strange that all the other brands are having much better lenses than the 50D at this test.

So now I'm very curious about what might be causing this and if there's a natural or logical explanation for it. This is making me seriously worried about buying the 50D. I can live with not so good noise performance at high ISO, but loss of details at this level is something that are genuinely not acceptable -- not to me anyways. To be honest, the 50D test images looks just crappy in compare -- sorry for being a bit harsh.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow