Should I sell my stuff or try another repair?

Started Dec 26, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W.C. Green
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
Should I sell my stuff or try another repair?
Dec 26, 2008

Hello folks, and Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and Happy Kwanza!

Back in the early part of the year, I posted about some serious front focusing problems with my E-3. Some folks at OLY gave me a great deal of run-around about the problem being me. After quite a bit of posting, and detailed descriptions of my shooting style, it became clear the problem was my camera. I did send it in, and OLY did some calibration and repairs. My camera worked perfectly with my 50mm f2 and I was quite happy.

I am desperately trying to get a new headshot business off the ground this coming year, so I can marry my fiancee and her child. I sold my 50mm, 14-54, and 50-200 to finance a new 35-100mm ( actually, a demo from Cameta) Well, after several shoots, it has become clear that I now have a serious back focusing problem. I get about 60% of my shots back focused, about 20% front focused, and about 20% correct focus. My clients are not happy. As stated in the past... I shoot shallow DOF and always focus with SMALL, CENTER POINT, on the corner of one of the actor's eyes. I am getting a large amount of shots with the edge of their ear in sharp focus, or the back of their collar in sharp focus, and then a few with the chest area in focus or the front of the shoulder in focus, and then a few with the actual eye in focus. I have had to put the business plan on hold, and have a decision to make.

Is it worth going through the absolute h-e-l-l again with OLY tech, and will they fix this camera, or will I be shelling out serious cash for a repair. I have wanted this lens for 2 years, but I am now seriously considering taking a massive loss and just getting another manufacturer's body, lens, and flash to get me going... although I do not want to do this, and have always tried to stick with OLY.

I just think this camera is one of the early ones that had focus issues, and it was never really fixed. Its over a year old, and I certainly do not have the cash to pay in repairs. It's very upsetting because this was the lens of my dreams, and I sacrificed a great deal to get it. I hoped to now go for the 14-35 next, but I am now thinking about taking a big hit and just going with anything I can that is very reliable.

Any suggestions? What might OLY charge for repairs such as this?
Billy
http://www.wcgreen.net

'Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must.'

E-3, HLD-4 grip, BlackRapid Strap, 35-100mm f2, FL-50, Lowepro
350 Fastpack, Lowepro Toploader 75, MacBook Pro 17', Coming Soon: 14-35mm f2

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow