ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Novin
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
shooting at less MP for increased resolution
Dec 24, 2008
-- hide signature --

Can someone please confirm/discuss the following, it was in a previous thread and I believe quoted from Rockwell's site. I thought buying so many megapixles was a waste but if the following is accurate then it would factor heavily in deciding. I would think no matter what resolution you shot in you still have Bayer interpolation:

"Try shooting your 5D Mark II at it's M (11MP) or S (5MP) settings. If you look at your images at 100%, you'll see that the lower resolution shots are sharper!

Why? Because they use less, or no, Bayer interpolation. No digital camera really resolves its rated resolution; they cheat and interpolate up, so at 100% at its rated resolution, no digital camera image is as sharp as a true scan from film.

At the 5MP setting, you have 100% R, G and B pixels, exactly as if you were using a Sigma Foveon sensor. If Sigma was selling this, they'd sell the 5MP (S) setting as if it were 15MP (also a lie).

What this means is that the lower resolution settings actually pack away lot more detail than you think. The S (5MP) setting of the 5D Mark II is a lot sharper than any 5MP camera."

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow