Started Dec 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ChiSoxFan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429
Like?
Finally-LX3 vs F30 Comparison Shots
Dec 23, 2008

Sorry for the wait, I finally got to this today. These shots are at the widest angle of the F30 (36mm) with the LX3 at the same (or as close as I could get) focal length. Center crops of the entire shot seen below. The same aperture and shutter speeds were used on both cameras, all at F2.8 the widest the F30 goes. The LX3 will actually go to F2.3 at this focal length so it can be over half a stop more sensitive. These shots don't take that LX3 advantage into account so keep that in mind when viewing. These are using default settings and white balance on both cameras. My LX3 is at firmware 1.0 since I haven't had the chance to upgrade yet. I'm thinking about doing another set comparing RAW to the F30 too to see how it compares if I have time.

The F30 shots are at the top for each shot. I did ISO 100, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200. To my eye, the F30 has about a 1/2 stop advantage in noise over the LX3. You might be able to make a case for a full stop at certain ISOs but I'd say overall it's between 1/2 or 1 stop advantage for the F30 for noise which pretty much cancels out its advantage taking the lens advantage of the LX3 into consideration. At 60mm the aperture advantage is even greater in favor of the LX3 (F2.8 to F3.7 on the F30).

The F30 looks to have a bit more sharpening and contrast straight out of camera which can be seen in the text of the gift tags. Overall for image quality potential I'd call this a tie for straight out of camera pictures. Given the LX3's feature set and image stabilizer I'd say it's the winner for sure unless someone needs over 70mm on the telephoto end. If you want wide angle you have an obvious winner in the LX3.

If you have neither camera and are looking I'd say the LX3 is definitely the way to go for a good low light camera considering the prices of the F30/31 nowadays, even for used ones. If you have the F30/31 and are perfectly happy with it, then no reason to change unless the wide angle, OIS, and features of the LX3 are of interest (which they really should be IMO).

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow