ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thomas KP Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
5D Mark II : AF Problem on side AF points & Weak Readings insdie ViewFinder
Dec 23, 2008

-1. Auto Focus Hesitation:

I bought the 5D Mark II on Dec 11th in HK. For the first few days, I took photos at night for night activities to test its abilities for high ISO shootings and found that 5D Mark II were difficult to successfully auto focus, I had been using the 35L, 135L and 24-70L lenses for the shoots, and these lenses have been used on my previous 50D for two months without experiencing such "auto focus hesitation" problem. So at first I thought it was due to weak lighting.

However, yesterday, I took photos in the afternoon with good sunlight, and in additional, I also use my 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM, together with the above three lenses, all these L lenses experience same difficulties. I also found that using the center point as AF point, it will not have the problem, but when using the edge AF points, then the problem happens.

So I think this could be a problem only on my 5D Mark II, and brought it to the Canon repair center in HK this afternoon ( Dec 22nd) and checking with their technical personnel. He then took another 5D Mark II to compare. So far, the problem found are same on both units, so it seems the problem is not just on my Camera. The additional finding is that, the center AF point, and the vertical two points ( these two AF points change when using the the camera horizontally or vertically) can AF quickly. However, the left and right most two points (again AF points change depend on the Camera positioning) are the worse, when using these horizontal extreme two points to do AF, it will "hesitate" and dificult to lock-on to correctly focus the subject. The other four points are in the mid way, they are worse when the camera is at horizontal positioning, but get better when doing vertical shooting. So it seems only AF points close to the center can be used for AF to get a quick AF result, but those AF points that are further away from center will be difficult to obtain AF. This is annoying when try to shoot moving persons, as it may not be possible to use the center or vertical points to AF.

2. The Reading inside the View Finder are hard to read under sunlight.

The readings on the lower bottom inside the View Finder are too dim when doing shootings at bright sunlight situation. I cannot find any user adjustment for brightening these readings. But it is difficult to read when doing daylight shootings. I found the light is similar on my friends 5D Mark II, so this, again, is not a problem on my individual unit. To compare, there is no such problem on my 50D.

Canon HK said the AF problem have not been shown on any other models, and only on 5D Mark II. They will check with Japan side and respond back to me later.

Thomas KP Lee's gear list:Thomas KP Lee's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Sony SLT-A99 Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow