Started Dec 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jost von Allmen
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Inital comparison D3x - D3 - P45+ at base ISO
Dec 20, 2008

I have published some findings about shooting with the D3 and the D3x at 1600ISO here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=30418008

Now here is a new comparison between the D3 at 200ISO, the D3x at 100ISO (both shot with the excellent Nikon 24-70mm AF-S on a tripod with MLU) and the Phase One P45+ at 50ISO on an ALPA SWA with the 35mm (corresponding focal lenght) APO Rodenstock Digital HR.
White balance is slightly cooler on the P45+.

The Nikon NEF files are opened in NX2 and the files from the P45+ with Capture One 4.5.

Both the files from the D3 and the D3x have been upsized with bicubic smoother to match the width of the P45+: 7216 pixels, quite a challenge, especially for the D3!

The aspect ratio of the chip isn't the same: Nikon 2:3 and P45+ 3:4, so the image area can't be matched 100% without cropping.

Full image area, shot with the D3 at 200ISO:

Detail 1 from the D3:

Detail 1 from the D3x:

Detail 1 from the P45+:

Detail 2 from the D3:

Detail 2 from the D3x:

Detail 2 from the P45+:

These comparisons clearly show the advantage in resolution from the D3x to the D3 but even more so from the P45+ to the Nikon cameras: Different camera systems for different tasks!
These differences clearly show up in prints of A2 (roughly 17X22).

Qualitywise, the Medium Format P45+, combined with the best available lenses, simply plays in another league. And it costs a hell of a lot more money, too ...
BUT anyway: the Nikon D3x will rise the bar in the 35mm market higher as well.

I will be able to produce high resolution images in situations, which were never possible before (with Nikon)!

Thank you for your interest.

-- hide signature --

http://www.jostvonallmen.com

'My whole world is a latent image' (by D. Munch)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow