Pentax Modifications (An Off-White Subject)

Started Dec 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tyler Monson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450
Like?
Pentax Modifications (An Off-White Subject)
Dec 17, 2008

I've always liked to have bubble levels on my cameras, even if I am hand-holding them. And, of the levels made, I've come to prefer the circular ones (bulls-eye). But I also want one to use in both horizontal and vertical camera positions.

Finally found the German Kaiser level (B&H stocks them) except I had to remove the level every time I wanted to use the built-in flash, which meant either holding it in my hands or stuffing it in a pocket...and twice in one year, this led to losing the level! At nearly $30 apiece, I needed a better solution.

So I cut, filed, and bent a piece of aluminum. This slides into the Pentax accessory shoe and is held firmly in place by a nylon screw (without damaging the flash contacts underneath). Then I mounted an accessory shoe on the other end of my metal extension. Since the bubble level has a 1/4"x20 thread on the underside of its shoe, I put a nylon screw in that, too, to keep the level firmly on the camera.

Works beautifully, won't fall off, and doesn't get in the way of the flash when it pops up. And it doesn't get in the way of my face when I'm looking through the viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

Now, there is another modification in this picture that might be of interest to you.

The lens is Pentax DA21, which is my standard and is used for 99.5% of my pictures. However there are occasions when I really need a wider angle, so I use a 46 to 49mm adapter ring and screw the Nikon CoolPix .68x wide-angle supplemental lens (originally for the CP5000 camera) on the end. Yields the equivalent to a 14 mm lens...and costs ever so much less!

The picture on my blog for November 29 was taken with this modified lens.

Cheers,

Tyler Monson
http://www.ora2.blogspot.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow