Started Dec 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zuma022
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Lens choice for hockey
Dec 14, 2008

I'm still a newbie to all things photography. I have a chance to attend a fun event of our NHL team early next year. They'll be at the main 19,000 seater stadium. I've checked with the stadium and they allow SLRs for this event.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure where our seats are going to be, so I would prefer to bring a zoom.

I was thinking the 70-200 2.8 would be the best choice, but I'm not sure if it's fast enough. I assume a hockey rink would be fairly bright with the ice and everything compared to other indoor sports? The only one faster I think would be the 135L but I'm not sure if it's long enough.

I also won't be able to bring a tripod/monopod, but I think I'll need fast shutter speeds and will be able to handhold, right? The 135L is a lot lighter so that may be an advantage for the shorter one.

What if I brought an f4 lens and would concentrate on the players as they sit on the bench or stand around? Would it be fast enough to not get any motion blur when they're not skating?

I'm going to be renting a lens for the event, so cost for once doesn't matter. I shoot with an XSi. I also likely won't print bigger than 8x10 as a max, quite likely just a few shots and smaller. Most shots will live on the internet only. Assuming of course they turn out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow