New D60, what lens (and other equip.) to get?

Started Dec 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
emk35
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
New D60, what lens (and other equip.) to get?
Dec 11, 2008

Hi there, I am new to this forum and also new to the world of DSLR. I had a Nikon SLR years ago that was sadly stolen before I was able to get too far along in the learning process. I was mostly using it to get action shots at equestrian events with limited knowledge of how to take a really good photo. I was just starting to try to learn more about photography when the camera was stolen. Being 20 at the time, going out and getting another one was just not an option. I have not had an SLR since. I would definitely consider myself a newbie to not only digital, but to photography in general, but I am looking forward to the learning process!

I have been wanting a digital SLR for a while now and am finally getting one! My husband is getting me a D60 for Christmas and I can't wait. I have read many posts all over the place, and was originally going to go with the D40. But then Ritz dropped the D60 price another $50 making it only $100 more. My husband decided with that small of an increase to just get me the D60 instead. So its been bought, I just have to wait a couple more weeks to use it.....

Now, my father has decided to get me an additional lens to go with it for my Christmas gift. I have been told by Ritz that if I bring my receipt in, they will discount the 55-200 VR lens that I could have gotten as a kit as if I did, which I believe is about $100 off the lens price. I am not sure if they would apply this if we chose a different lens. Originally I was just going to go with that 55-200 lens, but then my dad mentioned the 70-300 lens. I am looking for some feedback on the two. Any thoughts as to which is the better to go with?

Also, any other equipment I should be thinking about? Remote, flash, special filters, specific memory cards, etc.....

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow