Started Dec 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clicstudio
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
1DIIN vs 1DIII vs 5DII
Dec 10, 2008

I'll be damned... After Fedex lost my 3-month-old preordered 5D2, they finally delivered it today... Without any warning...

Very quickly I did an ISO test. I would never go over 1250 so I don't bother to test what I don't need.

I am happy and impressed with the quality of the build and pictures... I still think the body is too small without a grip to handle my heavy 24-70L F2.8 lens with just one hand. A grip is a must.

The VGA screen is a dream compared to the 1DIII's and the navigation menus are nice and "shaded". I wish the crappy amber light on the top information screen was brighter and blue, like the 1D. Also, the eye cup is too small and the bright screen blinds you after each shot which sucks for me.

Althought the quality of the video is great, the camera is way too heavy for manual use. After 30 seconds of trying to manually focus my arm started to hurt. It's inconvenient, heavy and pushing the AF-ON button starts a super slow (2 to 3 seconds) focus hunt that usually fails... The Quick AF is useless and makes too much noise which is recorded as well. The microphone quality is excellent and so is the audio. Even at ISO6400 with candle-light the video stills are usable... I love the fact that in my Mac I just drag the frame to the Photoshop icon and it opens as a Smart Layer... Nice but I think I'll stick with my Panasonic 3-CCD HD Video Camera instead of trying to get frustrated with this bulky "video camera"

Just one thing thing I noticed at first. Noise at 1000 is great, but 1250, although just one stop, adds a hell of a lot of noise. I didn't test over 1250 on stills.

Here are 4 side-by-side samples at ISO 1000 and ISO 100. Shot with the same Canon 24-70F2.8L lens and using a 1D Mark II N, a 1D Mark III and the 5D Mark II.

I am not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. I wish there was a higher than 10MP (1DIII) choice between the $2700 5D2 and the $8000 1DsIII or an upgrade plan to make my 1DIII 16MP and still keep the 1.3crop and the 10FPS...

Tomorrow I will give the camera a real studio workout with a model and see how it behaves... Although the quality is amazing, I don't know if the 9-point focus and the consumer body can keep up with the way I work... We'll see...

Cheers

ppdix

clicstudio's gear list:clicstudio's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Epson Stylus Photo 1400 +17 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow