Started Dec 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,034
Like?
Noise vs. Grain
Dec 9, 2008

With the advent of digital imaging a new irrational obsession has exploded. The trend toward "pixel peeking" seemingly has reduced the ability of most people to stand back and see the big picture. I see far less discussion on subject matter and composition these days and more and more on "noise" and "purple fringing". While I admit the dreaded fringe is a great problem (forcing me to reject so many otherwise excellent cameras), noise is to me, not the pariah that everyone makes it out to be.

In the days of film I would often take 400 ASA film and push it up to 1600 and beyond, not for the added speed, but for the enhancement of grain that this allowed, providing so many qualities (that I won't go into here).

This is one reason why I tend to lean towards Canon cameras because they lean away from over processing images, accepting grain/noise over muddy alternatives.

I was relived on receiving the first images from my first digital all those years ago, to see that a quality of reasonable similarity to grain could still be had from these overly consistent monsters. I am glad that manufacturers still push ISO ratings into the noisy regions and think it will be a shame when images become "perfect"

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow