Started Dec 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jezsik
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565
Like?
Dell m6400 Covet laptop
Dec 8, 2008

I ordered this monster last month and it arrived only a week ago. I've been slowly moving my my old machine to this one so I've not put it through its paces completely, but it is an awesome photography computer.

What I know so far:

The case is very solid and surprisingly tasteful. When I saw the photos of the orange anodized aluminum case, I was a bit put off, but the "live" version is more a burnt orange and does not look quite so ostentatious.

The 17" screen is astonishing. It's a WUXGA RGB LED glossy display running at 1920x1200 with a gig of video RAM. It is so sharp I cut myself. I have no good way of testing the response time, but the color ... the color ... it's full of color. I just calibrated the screen last night. I can't wait to watch a high-def video on this thing. One interesting feature is the light sensor. As the ambient light changes, the brightness adjusts accordingly. I'm not sure how this will affect my editing (and not too sure how to measure it, either).

The power supply is slightly smaller and lighter than a house brick. Seriously. The built-in camera provides brilliant images. Only four USB ports, but it does have firewire. The keys are a bit too slippery for my liking, but the back lit keyboard is a godsend for editing in a dark room. I never heard the cooling fan go on, but the DVD was quite audible when spinning (no big thing though).

More info to follow ...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow