Started Dec 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fotomutt
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Nikon 50mm 1.4G vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX
Dec 6, 2008

Just picked up the new Nikon 50 1.4g. The following is my initial, and amateur, impression compared to the Sigma 50 1.4 EX I own. The new Nikon is about 1/3 smaller than the Sigma and almost half the weight. Build quality on both is very good. Auto/Manual focus button is smoother on the Nikon. Auto focus is fast and silent on both. So far I cannot say that one is faster than the other. Manual focus on the Nikon is very smooth but full focus range takes about a 180 degree turn. The Sigma is rather firm to turn but only takes about 90 degrees. Both balance well on my D700 but the Sigma starts to feel big on something like a D90. The new Nikon has a gasket at the lens mount but the manual says nothing about environmental seals. The Sigma does not have a lens mount seal. I don't know what the true field of view is of each lens is but if the Nikon is a 50mm then the Sigma is more like a 46mm. At f1.4 the depth of field is so thin it is very easy to mis-focus. That being said, I seem to mis-focus with the Sigma a lot. I'd almost be tempted to say it back focuses. The Nikon, with the very few shots I've taken, seems to focus on the point I intended. The Nikon appears to have a hint of vignetting wide open. I'd give the Nikon the nod for center sharpness at f1.4. From f2.8 to f8.0 I think these lenses are very comparable. I haven't tried anything beyond f8.0 yet. Overall I really like the Nikon and I have a feeling it will be on my D700 most of the time.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow