G10 Rating from DPReview not consistent....

Started Dec 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BryanP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,914
Like?
G10 Rating from DPReview not consistent....
Dec 3, 2008

I know there have been many threads similar to mine bemowning the DP Review rating of "Recomended" for the Canon G10. But when the numbers are compared to the Panny LX3 and its "Highly Recommended" rating, it just doesn't show consistency within this website's review system.

G10:
Build quality 9.5
Ergonomics & handling 9.0
Features 9.5
Image quality 8.0
Optics 9.0
Performance (speed) 8.5
Value 7.0

Recommended

Panasonic LX3:
Build quality 9.0
Ergonomics & handling 8.0
Features 8.5
Image quality 8.5
Optics 9.0
Performance (speed) 8.5
Value 8.0

Highly Recommended

The G10 beats the LX3 by these margins on these review parameters:
Build quality +0.5
Ergonomics & handling +1.0
Features +1.0
Image quality -0.5
Optics 0.0
Performance (speed) 0.0
Value -1.0

Both cameras cost about the same right now, averaging about $450 (MSRP of $500 for both). So why is value on the G10 a -1.0 compared to the LX3 when they cost the same. Very, very subjective or maybe even biased on that parameter. In the G10 "Cons" section, the reviewer said, "Price is very high considering other cameras in its class and low end DSLRs ". Why did this comment not show up in the LX3 list of Cons, since it cost the same as the G10? Quite the opposite, however, in the LX3 conclusions, it received this comment in the "Pros" section of the conclusions, "Well priced (compared to its peers)". ????? WTF

The G10's "Recommended" rating is ridiculous. However, I am experienced enough and wise enough to know not to judge my buying decisions on this website's "rating system". I bought the camera before I even read DP Review's review. I bought it based on the many positive user comments and great quality photos I have seen on this Forum. My copy of the G10 produces better than an 8.0 for Image Quality rating this website chose to give it. However, many other people do make their buying decisions on this website's ratings and recommendations, and its unfair to this camera's true abilities, and some poeple will be missing out on a truly great and useful camera otherwise. I know many other review websites that are out there give the G10 a more fair and/or better rating.

I just wanted to state my feelings/opinions about the inconsistency within this website's review rating system. I for one, love my G10, as many of you do as well that own this little gem. I usually don't allow myself to get caught up in this type of thing, but I wanted to try to set the record straight, at least as I see it. Thanks for reading and happy shooting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Bryan P.

OneDMark3, FortyD, G10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29386469@N00/
http://blplhp.smugmug.com/

The best thing that could poke you in the eye....is your viewfinder.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow