Started Dec 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jeff-c
Senior MemberPosts: 2,073Gear list
Like?
Rolls-Royce Phantom and BMW 7
Dec 3, 2008

What do they have in common and what the heck are they related to this forum?

Well, for starter both are fine autos and they share the same BMW 6.75L V12 engine.

And yet their prices are all over the map. I just check Edmunds the BWM 760Li is asking for US$120k, certainly not cheap for average consumer.

However, the Rolls-Royce Phantom base model is listed at US$340k, almost three times of the Bimmer using the same engine. The long wheel base jumps to $430k.

Technically Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW now so their relationship is not the same as the one of Nikon and Sony. However I do find the analogy of auto engine and camera sensor rather interesting.

I'm sure if Rolls-Royce lowers the price of Phantom to say, $180k or $200k could help moving more cars out of their showroom. Or the comparison of Nikon's high-end to Ultra luxury auto is an absurd one. What we do know is, in this world there are products whose price is not determined purely based on BOM (bill of material) cost.

Thom Hogan got an interesting point in his D3X piece:

"So my message to Nikon is this: if you want more (money) out of us, we want more (support) out of you."

jeff-c's gear list:jeff-c's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Apple iPhone 4S
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow