Started Dec 1, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FashionBoy
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Have we reached a ceiling as far as IQ?
Dec 1, 2008

Just curious about your opinion. To me it seems that Canon has reached a ceiling as far as megapixels go on a full frame 35mm sensor.

With the 5D MkII and the 1DS MkIII at 21 mp, these cameras are pushing the lenses to their practical limit of resolution and aberration-correction. Only the best glass need apply! Otherwise the benefits of the high resolution sensor are wasted, and you might as well use a 5D or older 1DS, or Nikon etc.

In terms of high ISO performance, the MkII is a top-level performer. Technologically speaking I'm not sure how Canon could lower the noise levels even further but this remains to be seen. Currently the ability to use high ISOs like 3200 and 6400 for practical applications (take photojournalism for instance), with the ability to go to H1 or H2 in extreme low light circumstances makes photography possible in nearly any existing light we might encounter (with the right lenses naturally).

If an image is to be published fairly small in a newspaper (for example), H2 @ 25,600 "ISO" can create an acceptable image.

The recent comparison by Derryck (linked in this forum) between the 5D MkII, 1DS MkIII and the Phase P25 back seem to actually favour the Canons slightly in image quality! This is remarkable, considering the sensor size difference.

As a professional, I don't believe I really need more than 21MP resolution for any but the most demanding applications. When/if I do, I would probably go to large format film (4x5 or 8x10) for that purpose (or the new Phase P65+ which I should see a demo of later this week).

In other words, without redesigning the entire 35mm lens line, is there any point for Canon to produce a 30+MP or 40+MP sensor?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow