Started Nov 30, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Gregg
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,704Gear list
Like?
D3X release and arm-chair quarterbacking
Nov 30, 2008

I think contrary to all the folks who say Nikon did poorly in this release, they are wrong and Nikon is handling the D3X release brilliantly.

Nikon is dealing with something larger than the loyal Nikon user base and this is a larger game of positioning and strategy. Nikon to miss an opportunity to move a player on the gameboard because of a "smooth release" policy would simply have been unacceptable.

Firing a shot across the bow of a competitive player and also simultaneously sending a signal or message to the "undecided" votes or buyers was precisely the right thing to do - and the proof is in the pudding. The real player here - Nikon - did exactly that. The arm-chair quarterbacks and wanna-be players were and are wrong. My opinion is the play was executed and received well and is doing it's intended job. I was hoping Nikon would not just sit there silently and seem like they were just oblivious to the information flying thru the information highways at this important time - and they didn't. A midsummer surprise release is very different than a release timed with another competitor, Christmas, and CES/PMA season being 2 months away. I say "good job" and thumbs up to Nikon.

From another point of view, as a buyer, I am not interested in smooth release or "handling" of an announcement well to the press. I want to know what the company (Nikon) wants to say to me, and many times (like now) i want to hear from Nikon while other people are talking to me in my other ear. Nikon to stay silent would be a disservice to me and to themselves. A little "leak" did the job of giving many people a little nod as to the intentions of the upcoming "play" on the field. Again, from that point of view - good job to Nikon. Nikon showed they are agile and quick on their feet rather than a stoic old cruiseliner that is not able to respond to world conditions and sink with the old-timers.

Peter

-- hide signature --

'Life is good - eternal life is better'

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow