ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobFromNY
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?
iMac for Photography??
Nov 21, 2008
-- hide signature --

I just bought a 24" iMac two days ago. I did some research before my purchase and I read that some people believe it is not a good choice for editing photos for 2 reasons:

1) Glossy display and 2) The display is so bright that even cranked all the way down, you still need third party software to lower it more so that you can properly calibrate it.

I don't feel the glossy display is a bad thing. I just won't use it in direct sunlight and the location of the iMac in my house has no bright lights in locations where they will effect the screen.

However, I'm wondering what your opinions are of the second issue. Before ordering, for every post I found that said the brightness issue was a huge negative, I would find one that said it works just fine for post processing.

Now, having received my new iMac and seeing for myself how bright this display really is, I'm wondering if I made a big mistake. I guess I'm asking for some reassurance here, from some people that have iMacs and have no issues with prints coming out too dark and are happy with the results they are getting.

I love everything about this iMac and I would hate it if I had to use some third party software (Shades?) to make the display usable for post processing. I plan on taking a bunch of test shots tonight and having them printed asap so I can see for myself.

Thanks, Bob

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow