How to set focus to infinity (landscape photos) with the 18-55mm kit lens?

Started Nov 18, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kiitos1
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
How to set focus to infinity (landscape photos) with the 18-55mm kit lens?
Nov 18, 2008

Hi,

last sunday I wanted to use my 450D for the first time in Bulb mode to take a few shots of the sea horizon during a stormy night with lightnings...

The problem immediately came when I had to set the focus to the horizon. I switched the focus button to manual mode, as the AF system had simply no features where to focus on, and naively (I admit it), I rotated the focus ring to its full extention since the18-55mm IS kit lens is not equipped with the focus distance dialer, so assuming this way the camera was going to focus objects at the maximum possible distance.
As a matter of a fact, all photos I took in these conditions came out blurry.

At this point then, I believe there's something wrong with what I did. Is any of you out there able to teach me how to use the kit lens properly for night landscapes photos?
Ah, just a few explanatory details

The camera was placed in a steady position (no hand shake), with 2 sec timer on, the shutter button was kept depressed for around 10 to 30 secs, ISO 400, camera mode Manual, aperture 7.1.

Thanks
kiitos

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow