Started Nov 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bvphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Insect macro questions
Nov 10, 2008

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica or some place in South America primarily for the wildlife. Although I've shot big animals and birds, I've never done any macro photography and have a few questions:

1. I'm resisting buying a dedicated macro lens since it will find use only once in a while. Using extension tubes or a close-up lens, instead, is an option. But given the abundance of photo opps I'm likely to face, would I be crazy not to take a dedicated macro?

2. Given that there will be a lot of exotic bugs, butterflies, flowers and small reptiles to take pictures of, would a macro lens in the 100mm range provide me with sufficient working distance? I suspect a Sigma 150mm would be a better choice, but I'm not too keen on carrying yet another heavy lens. Any opinions?

3. If I go the extension tube/close-up lens route (because of weight and cost factors), which of my lenses would be best suited for this? I'm tempted to get a 77mm closeup lens for my 100-400 and keep it on my camera most of the time for large as well as small (with the closeup lens on) wildlife.

4. Would a combination of extension tubes and a close-up lens provide enough magnification on my 100 f2?

I should probably rent a 100mm macro first before making up my mind, but hearing your experiences with similar decision making would help.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

http://bvphotos.smugmug.com

Rebel XT, Canon 100 f2, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 10-22, Sigma 18-200 OS, Tamron Pro 1.4TC, Speedlite 430EX, Feisol 3402 + 486RC2.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow