Started Nov 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThomasMiller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735
Like?
50D BLOWS away the 40D
Nov 10, 2008

It's funny to see the fallout from the recent review for the 50D, so here's the real deal from a big fan of the 40D. My lady-friend shoots with the 50D now, but still has the 40D and I used to own the 30D. I currently shoot Nikon D700 & D90, but that has no bearing here.

The 50D has focus adjustment for lenses. Read it again. THE 50D HAS FOCUS ADJUSTMENT FOR LENSES.

This means a lot. It means that glass of 2.8 and faster will very often back or front focus and I do mean OFTEN. We usually get some misses in AF with our work, never realizing that a slight adjustment will put DOF where we want. I first learned this with Canon gear, then experienced it 1st hand with a D300. It's often hard to dial in the lenses, but I don't personally know a single shooter who has not benefited from this feature. If you have a large selection of fast glass you'll learn to love it! Quite a few shooters test quickly and judge their gear as fine, but if you TAKE TIME and test your lenses CAREFULLY you will usually find a few that will benefit from some tuning.

High ISO and resolution....sheesh! Guess what? The extra MP doesn't make a HUGE difference. But it's time to finally accept that even 4MP makes a great pic. If you don't REALLY believe that or plan on printing billboards, it's time for a FX camera. That said, the extra MP IS visible at low ISO's. As for the ISO range, people who claim it's worse are just lazy. The 50D requires a bit more finesse (nailing exposure) to coax the best high ISO performance out of it. Extra MP = extra work at times. At low ISO's you'll score with more MP. With the 40D, D300, D90 & 50D we're scraping the limits of crop sensor ISO range. They are ALL fantastic and so close in performance that atmospheric conditions will have a BIGGER impact on noise than which camera you're using!

The rear LCD of the 50D is FANTASTIC. It's useful. It's fun. It saves time. It's great for judging shots PROPERLY for focus. It's great for product shooting or even judging focus for astrophotography.

Now what else? Better live view AF, HDMI out, better weather sealing! Why would I want a 40D over a 50D? Even if the 40D had SLIGHTLY better performance at ISO 3200, there is no way it's worth downgrading to a poor LCD and no AF fine tune. The 50D walks away from the 40D in just too many ways and it's nipping at the heals of the D300, possibly beating it at lower ISOs!

I don't own the 50D, but I've had some time with it and it's a camera I could easily live with for YEARS.

-- hide signature --

Thomas (Lord Nikon!)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
LOLNew
ROFLNew
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow