O.K. all of you NX and NX 2 proponents....

Started Nov 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Howard S Passman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
O.K. all of you NX and NX 2 proponents....
Nov 10, 2008

I have steadfastly disliked Capture NX and NX 2 for several reasons, but most importantly because I really liked Capture 4.X.

I kept a D200 in order to shoot High School football because the UI was faster for Capture than NX and now NX 2. This week I decdied to give the D700 and Capture NX 2 a shot at it, so to speak. I paid for the NX 2 upgrade, which grates on my nerves anyway, but here's what I discovered.

Although NX 2 works well as a general image processor it is still slower than slime for processing images from RAW to jpg. I usually come home with 400-600 images from football and with Capture 4.X I could batch them all in 45 minutes. Basically, I sharpen them a little, convert to jpg and save. With NX and NX 2 now this takes 3 hours! Same machine and a slightly (20%) larger file.

A further and limited list of other things that still lack in NX x compared to Capture 4.x. First you still can't resize the menu. You can make th box bigger, but you have to have great eyes to see the tool if your screen resolution is set to anything other than minimum (I have two screens). You still can't open two tools at once. You can no longer effeciently balance shadow color (Fairly important to me) and for some darn reason when you use a tool you can't just hit enter and have it apply. You have to actually press apply. For someone who uses keystrokes to save time and has bothered to learn them in Photoshop, this is a pain. You can navitgate about half the program with keystrokes. What good is half the time?

So there you have it. I came home Thursday night hoping to get the nights shots processed and posted and instead ended up having to get up very early the next morning to finish it. Three times longer to do the same job as the old software. Nice job Nikon.

BTW, they do make the best RAW converter so I will keep using it and keep whining.

Howard

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow