Started Nov 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rameshpkumar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664
Like?
D-LUX 4 RAW vs JPG example
Nov 9, 2008

To avoid Capture One frustration, I just used it to convert to DNG and then processed using PS CS3 and that killed my frustration. It is easy to covert to DNG in Capture One and I can live with it.

But what I have learned after looking at some of the photos is that JPG engine is really good. I did not see any additional details in RAW for the pictures I looked at. RAW gives you true color and JPG can be fancy depending on the color mode. JPG corrects CA well, removes vignetting and you can do all these with PS CS3 too. I am not sure how much distortion correction JPG is doing at this time, but if you look at the two samples below from the same file with RAW+JPG, you can see that RAW gives a wider scene by about 1mm. So if JPG gives you 24mm RAW will give you about 23mm. I hope it is not the other way with RAW 24mm and JPG 25mm. In the sample below from RAW, you can see 1or 2 more buildings on either side.

For for those who are frustrated with Capture One, it is easy to do DNG conversion and it is just a single click. Hope this will help some one.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow