Started Nov 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195
Like?
Is buying a 50D a mistake?
Nov 6, 2008

I was thinking of getting a 50D kit, but all this fuss about it has scared me off. I had a 30D and 40D but sold all my Canon stuff to switch to the Nikon D300 last year due to Canon’s lack of a flexible auto ISO, no VGA display and few other features like the lens fine tuning.

Through a struck of luck I was able to acquire a 20D and some assorted glass for very good price and that got me back in the Canon game a few months back. I really like the 20D for most occasions, but the after using the D300 the 20D miniature display causes a problem for me.

I have been thinking of getting another 40D but for $200 more I can have the 50D with the VGA display that I have longed for on a Canon plus the lens micro adjust. Main features I would like are the bigger display and spot metering which the 20D lack

The problem is I have read about all the reviews on the net and most point out that you need good glass. I have a Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 170-500mm APO, 75-300mm Tamron LD, 75-300mm Sigma Super APO and a 70-200mm F/4 Canon L lens.

The ones I use the most are the 70-200mm F/4 L and the Canon 17-85 IS. These are quiet sharp on my 20D.

The 50D looks great except for the 15mp sensor and all the problems it creates. Would I best be served by getting a 40D?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow