E-30 Creative ART Filters : what does that mean?

Started Nov 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,697
Like?
E-30 Creative ART Filters : what does that mean?
Nov 5, 2008

I am not really interested in the E-30 as such.
I am quite happy with my E-3 thank you very much.

Only a new and even better sensor and a new and even better software engine (make those JPGs even nicer ?) are desirable features, but not even to start disliking my E-3, let alone thinking about replacing the thing.

And no, I am not interested in scene modes and other features that will give me away as being a newbie (LOL), but I do wonder about the actual practical effects of some of those "creative features" and "filters".

Here is what I talk about :

Art Filters

Enables special artistic effects to be created directly in the camera. The following Art Filters are available in the Olympus E-30:

Pop Art: Enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid to create high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.

Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone which gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details such as the hair or flower petals.

Pale & Light Colour: The foreground is enclosed in flat, gentle light – similar to a flashback scene in a film – creating a sense of déjà vu.

Light Tone: Creates a picture with a gentle feel to it, similar to one taken under artificial lighting. Both the shade and highlight areas are rendered very softly to provide a sophisticated atmosphere.

Grainy Film: This effect recreates the feeling of reality evoked by grainy, high-contrast monochrome pictures. The strong presence and dramatic atmosphere make the subject stand out impressively.

Pin Hole: Reduces the peripheral brightness like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.

I know the effect of the included colour filters on B&W OOC JPg images.

And I just wonder what those effects will be (and why it would be better to have them in-camera, over creating them in PP). Will it be possible to make a picture in RAW and possibly multiple JPG versions simultaneously ("normal" JPG and "filtered" JPG).

So LET's PLAY :

As long as Olympus does not show us what they mean with all this hocus pocus, let us speculate what the effects will look like (maybe with examples?)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
--
member of UK (and abroad) Photo Safari Group
( http://www.ukphotosafari.org/ )

UKPSG presents a Tunisia E-3 user field report: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow