Canon XSI focus problems.. could it be the IS?

Started Nov 4, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ksgal
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Canon XSI focus problems.. could it be the IS?
Nov 4, 2008

I got my canon, and over all I was happy with the pictures till I started viewing at 100%. Not In Focus at all.. drove me crazy.. shot over 2000 pictures, not happy at all with the focus when viewed at 100%. Finally, I kept reading how if on a tripod, you should turn IS off.. and I though what if???

Canon XSi, 18-55mm kit lens.

With IS on:

Sample

With IS OFF:

Sample

(BTW, NO sharpening on any of the above, I did re-convert the raw to JPG, and set all settings to Zero for both.. Really!)

So... now I want you all to go try this and see what you come up with.

The pics with IS on seem to be front or rear focused, and hardly ANY of them are in focus for me. Turn the bleeping thing off, and suddenly I CAN get a picture in focus, with the AF-- The pics above are both f5.6 or so, and TV set to 1/400-- and I turned only the AF center on for both- placing it on the eye. I shot a series of pictures each way and there is no reason for the IS On pictures to ALL be out of focus, the above was one of the best of the bunch.

All shot hand held, and I'm going to do more extensive testing on a tripod both ways, when I get the time, but I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone else can replicate what I have found.

So in a nutshell, I think the Image stabilization on a wide angle lens may be more of a problem than what it is worth, for a standard, well exposed shot.

I'm not trying to start a battle, and IS on a longer lens may be great, but I was ready to give up on ever getting a picture in focus till I turned the bleeping thing off.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow