ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
geekus_maximus
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
White balance Q? PICS.
Nov 2, 2008
-- hide signature --

I recently purchased a 50D as an upgrade to my old XT. I am no where near the "professional level" of photography, and I figured that the xxD would be a good next step in my learning process.

But I had one MAJOR problem, the 50D flat out fails at manual white balance. The fact that a camera that sells for 1k more then the xt does now, cant do a white balance as good as the xt can???

So I am sending it back, and I dont know what to do. I dont mind saving up and waiting another month for the 5dm2, but I am worried that if Canon thinks it is acceptable to release a camera with SUCH POOR white balance performance, who is to say that the 5dm2 will perform any better?

Roughly 90% of all the pictures that I take are low light macros, under artificial light. I take anywhere from 800 to 1000 pictures in a sitting, and I dont have the time, let alone the RAM to adjust the white balance for every single picture, so a camera that cant perform a manual white balance correctly, is useless to me.

I'd like to stick with canon, simply because its what I know, and I have already invested so much into the lenses.

Here are the example shots:
Set up with XT:

Exact same set up with the 50D:

With the 50, the colors are garish, too yellow, too green, all wrong. I use 10k bulbs, but they are filtered by white fabric, and even trying to select the exact color temperature comes up wrong. I just want the camera to do it for me, too much to ask?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow