Started Oct 30, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
florinda
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
5D MK II Dynamic Range compared to original 5D, 1Ds and D700/D3
Oct 30, 2008

Just curious to know if anyone more technically minded has had a chance to analyse the 5D MK II samples available at present (such as in http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2008/10/28/9506.html ) and make an estimate of DR behaviour compared to original 5D and D700/D3. I know this is difficult without standardisation of methods and motifs, but I'm looking for a first impression similar to what has been said about high ISO noise.

Most threads everywhere have concentrated on high ISO performance, I wonder if preliminary ideas can be drawn from analysing the same samples for the purpose of estimating DR.

This is, not surprisingly, the most important factor for me, and so far, from the reviews I've read, the masters of DSLR high DR (above the 12MP mark - I don't count the Fujis in for lack or resolving power) seem to be the Nikon D700/D3 and the Sony A900 (although the Sony seems to suffer from a degree of noise in shadow areas, even at base ISO, when exposure for the highlights and recovery of shadow detail in raw workflow is used).

I own the original 5D, have always thought greatly about its IQ (particularly when used with Leica WAs through adapters), but have always felt that I could do with a bit more resolution (16 to 18MP) and, particularly, higher dynamic range.

Any thoughts about how the 5D MK II will score against the original 5D, 1Ds MK III and D700/D3?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JoopNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow