Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G: Replacement for the 24 TS-E?

Started Oct 25, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cbnphoto
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G: Replacement for the 24 TS-E?
Oct 25, 2008

I've been doing some back of the envelope calculations this-evening. I'm on the lookout for a WA to replace my shoddy 17-40L and I'm seriously considering the Nikon. I also have the 24 TS-E for architecture (my main subject) so I was wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone.

Now, please correct me on any of this - I've only quickly worked it through. The 24 TS-E is in fact about 16mm of which you see just a window that fills the frame. Ok, so if you were to use the Nikon to take architecture fully-corrected (i.e.: with the lens parallel to the ground for vertical objects) then there are two issues:

• you lose half the frame (in portrait especially) when you crop out the unwanted parts

• you lose resolution

The first of these isn't so bad. The second is interesting - especially if you use a 1DsIII (or the forthcoming 5DII).

16/24 = 0.67x linear resolution. So, doing the conversion you'd end up with the Nikon giving the same result as the TS-E fully shifted and with the equivalent resolution of a 9MP camera (0.67^2 * 21MP = 9.3MP). That's pretty close to a 1Ds Mk I, so by no means bad at all. And of course, the less correction (i.e.: shift) needed, the closer the Nikon gets to 21MP resolution.

Other factors - the Nikon has very little CA at the corners (and one can hardly say the TS-E is stellar in this regard). The Nikon also has low distortion. What's more, you can correct the frame for distortion as-is before cropping, unlike the TS-E where you have to guess how much it was shifted by to correct for CA and distortion.

So, is the Nikon a 24mm TS-E killer? (if we disregard the tilt function)

What are your thoughts?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow