Flying and film.

Started Jul 6, 2002 | Discussions thread
wil eelsing
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Flying and film.
In reply to Bill Hulsey, Jul 6, 2002

Generally speaking, you should be okay. I've never experienced any fogging on films as diverse as 1600 ISO and colour infra-red, even when the material was subjected to ancient x-ray equipment in Egypt and Greece.

And in spite of being a thoroughly modern airport, it's rumoured that Heathrow's (London) x-ray machines in particular have the potential to fry your films, and that other UK airports aren't much different in that respect.

However, on my last trip I went from Amsterdam to Glasgow and Edinburgh, passed through at least seven x-ray searches because of a high alert situation (wonder what was going on) and had no difficulty whatsoever.

You can buy special bags and cannisters with a lead-film lining, but chances are that the operators will just turn up the x-ray tube output to see what's in it. Something you definitely don't want them to do.

You might consider bypassing part of the exposure hazard by having your films developed at your holiday destination, but that of course depends on the local circumstances.

Enjoy your holiday,

Wil

Bill Hulsey wrote:

Since I don't fly often, what is the best way to get film pass all
the security checks at the airports. Plan on taking a vacation
later this year and will be caring my D7 and 2 film (medium format
and 35mm) camera's along. I was going to take camera bag on as a
carry on bag - don't won't it to get out of my sight. Any
suggestions from some of the frequent flyers would be helpful.

Thanks;
Bill

-- hide signature --

An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow