Started Oct 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harlot
Contributing MemberPosts: 938
Like?
*****Mini-challenge #15: Shadows*****
Oct 19, 2008

First of all, I would like to thank Rafael for hosting the previous mini-challenge and for forgetting to wear his eyeglasses when he picked the winner.

'To think of shadows is a serious thing.'
Victor Hugo

Yes, you have guessed it right. For this mini-challenge I have picked the "Shadows" topic.

Mini-Challenge 15 - "Shadows"
Deadline for submissions: Monday 27, 5 PM EDT

We all know that photography is all about light and shadows. Here we will be looking for photographs in which shadows play a leading role, highlight the subject/composition, have a story to tell and/or counterpoint/balance the subject. Subjects that cast shadows and subjects that are caressed by shadows. Shadows that are a subject in their own right. Diffuse shadows, subtle shadows, dramatic shadows, wavy shadows on water surfaces, lurking shadows. In short, shadows with character.

We don't want photos where the shadows just happen to be there. We want to see a creative and/or functional use of shadows.

I would very much appreciate it if all participants add the basic EXIF info below their submissions: body, lens, ISO, exposure time, F-Number, as well as any other info that might be interesting to understand how the picture was taken (handheld or not, lighting devices, etc.) and any kind of issues the photographer had to overcome.

Here are two simple examples of mine (both of my younger daughter):

For those of you who would like further inspiration, here you will find a nice compilation of photographs in which shadows are the protagonists:

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=269

Please don't forget to carefully read the rules, below, before submitting your photographs.

Good luck to you all and let's hope this mini-challenge gives us a lot to chew on.

Daniel

(P.S. For those of you who might be wondering why did I choose 'harlot' as a nickname, it was an hommage to Norman Mailer's 'Harlot's Ghost'. English is not my mother tongue, and by that time I was not aware of the fact that 'harlot' is an English synonym for prostitute. Now I'm stuck with a weird nickname, as I don't want to lose my "My threads" history.)

-- hide signature --

Deadline for submissions: Monday 27, 5 PM EDT

Here again is a reminder of the Rules:
Rules:

1. 1: Have fun. If you break this rule, you will be disqualified

1. 2: Pictures must be taken with a Dx00 camera.

1. 3: Submissions will be limited to two per person. If more entries are submitted, only the first two will be considered.

1. 4: CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE TO INCLUDE THE TITLE OF YOUR PHOTO. To avoid confusion and insure your entry is considered, please post your entry as a response to the original post. If you care to comment, please do so as a reply to the submission about which you care to comment.

1. 5: For ease of viewing, please try to embed your images in the post.

1. 6: Also for ease of viewing, please size your image so that no (or minimal) scrolling is required.

1. 7: Please try to include EXIF information with your submission.

1. 8: Post processing is allowed.

1. 9: Photos taken prior to the contest period will be allowed.

1. 10: All decisions by the host are final.

1. 11: The host may select as many runners up as desired.

1. 12: The host may not participate in the challenge.

----------------Additional Information---------------------------------------------

• The winner of each challenge hosts the next challenge and is responsible for choosing the topic and selecting the winner.

• The winner has 72 hours to offer a new challenge. If the winner is unable to host the next challenge, the winner may delegate another contestant as host if the contestant agrees. Otherwise, the next runner up may host the challenge.

• Comments on submissions are encouraged.

• Put [CC] next to your subject line if you care to receive comment and critiques on your work. Please do not critique submissions where this tag is absent.

• Submission periods should not exceed one week (to limit the number of posts in the thread) and are at the discretion and schedule of the host.

• If the number of threads allowed in a post is exceeded, a new post will be created containing a link to the previous thread to accommodate additional entries and comments.

• And remember, Have Fun!!!

Regards,

Daniel

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TestNew
TestNew
TestNew
TestNew
TestNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow