Started Oct 18, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ironbuddha
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
K20D pricedrops seal the deal...
Oct 18, 2008

I thought I'd share my tale of finally deciding on investing in the K20D with anyone out there that might be going through the same dilemma

I was debating strongly between a D300 vs D90 vs K20D. As I'd already had a good investment in Pentax glass, moving to the D300 for the amazing AF module and Live View were very appealing. D90 on the surface promised to be a D300 'lite' and with the movie mode for a lot of creative exploration (i don't care what anyone says, the possibility of exploring filming with interchangeable lenses and control over DOF is an interesting one). Despite having a line on discounts to Nikon gear, I waited patiently to see some final sample images from all the cameras and I must say that I prefer the way the Pentax renders their colours and the K20D is matched in detail only by the D300. Since I enjoy my share of hiking and travel and landscape photography, I deemed the D300 to be a little too cumbersome to take everywhere.

I figured coming from years of using a DS I won't have much to complain about, and this will let me take advantage of my SDM lenses. Not to mention, with all the comments from the community regarding AF, I'm optimistic about improvements in future models to be released. Besides, as many people have said before, the camera is a tool, and sure faster AF might be handy for sports and action (which I seldom shoot), but there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself to work within the limits of a tool, learning it inside out and perfecting technique either.

What finally sealed the deal for me was the price drops I'd been as of late with lots of reports coming in at around $795 US or so. Not to flog anyone's wares in particular, but I noticed prodigital2000 had a bunch of these they were auctioning off and I managed to score one for $705, so anyone interested should keep an eye out (I saw one go as low as $680). I'm guessing this might in part be due to the brand falling slightly out of favour due to public perception in deciding not to announce any upper tier or upgrades at Photokina, but I'm also guessing that their future products and iterations will continue to satisfy happy users in the community.

Cheers.

Libby

ironbuddha's gear list:ironbuddha's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow