Started Oct 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Johns a geek
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
50D noise testing (vs. XTi / 400D)
Oct 17, 2008

For anyone who is expecting a real improvement over their current image quality by upgrading to a 50D, I have some data for you to consider. I found that my XTi gave me cleaner images than my new baby. Don't get me wrong, everything about the 50D body is so much nicer to use. Far better viewfinder, many more, and customizable control options, etc. etc. etc. But unless I got a lemon, if you put the same lens on a 50D, and it focuses the same, you're going to get a noisier image from it than you did from your old camera.

This is particularly true if you do a lot of cropping and would like your 100% pixel views to be useable. I sure would. I haven't proven it yet, but I think that even with a careful down-sampling to the same image resolution, it's about even between these cameras.

http://picasaweb.google.com/notisj/CameraTests#5257916532506866674

I'd love for someone to tell me how I screwed this up, or for a firmware update (This was with v1.0.1) to improve the situation.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow