Started Oct 16, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bpsanborn
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
D90 Fine Tuning Experiences
Oct 16, 2008

Based on the D90 review dpreview.com, I have been experimenting with my month old D90. They said that the in-camera JPEG conversion was soft compared with the D90 RAW image and the Canon. They recommended boosting the sharpen values in the picture controls.

I tried modifying the Standard Picture Control by moving sharpening to 6. Based on other discussions about the differences in IQ from the D40-D60, I tried raising the contrast to +1 and saturation to +1. This gives me much better jpeg files. I turned off ADL during this period of experimentation to allow me to see the effects without the AUTO ADL adding in its changes.

I have also been experiencing over exposures in matrix metering. My D40x had the same tendency. I have been using a -7 or -3 exposure compensation outdoors to eliminate highlights. DPreview talked about a tendency to over-expose in matrix mode. They suggested changing the bias in matrix metering exposure function. With some trepidation... I set matrix mode to -1 or -1/6 EV. It had a noticeable affect on how the camera calculated exposure in matrix mode. Now I can set the exposure comp to zero and the pictures are properly exposed. I must do some low light tests to see if it still exposes correctly.

Please understand that I am just experimenting with this. I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination. I have discussed this on Nikonians.org as well.

As anybody else played with these settings with good results.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow