Macro lens advice needed

Started Oct 15, 2008 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Macro lens advice needed
Oct 15, 2008

Been thinking about adding another macro lens to my kit. Currently I have ZD35 f3.5, but would like to have some more reach. At first I thought that it's a simple thing – I'll get the Sigma 105 f2.8 – but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I could go with a ZD50 f2.0 because it's a stellar performer in any way. But It's not a true 1:1 macro lens. And maybe does still not have enough reach. The good side would be that then I would have a fast sharp lens that can be used as a general and portrait lens too. And I could add a Ex-25 to get a true 1:1 magnification.

But then the price would be almost equal to Sigma 150 f2.8, Sigma would be even cheaper. Then again I have heard several complaints about focus with that lens. So that sucks.

Why I'm just not going with Sigma's 105 f2.8? Quality wise it seems to be a good performer. Because I think about Olympus's future ZD100 f2.0 macro. It sure will be better performer in the similar focal length.

So I have couple questions. How does the EX-25+ZD50 work? How's the Sigma 150? And what would you do in a similar situation? If anyone cares to think with me on this, I would be grateful. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are. (Ernst Haas)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow