Started Oct 15, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
agorabasta
Contributing MemberPosts: 926
Like?
A700 best high ISO settings
Oct 15, 2008

I have recently found that 'zone matching' setting affects high-ISO noise of in-camera JPEGs far more than it could be expected. Essentially, setting zone matching to a negative value moves the contrast 'center' higher up the curve, so the contrast in the shadows is reduced along with the noise - but the actual effect is enormous compared to expectations. Of the reasons of such an effect I may only speculate but, it seems to me the in-camera curve adjustment happens before demosaicing, hence far less demosaicing-induced noise gets into the final image.

So far, I'm getting some truly amazing results with the following custom settings:

base mode 'standard', saturation +1, sharpness +2, brightness -2, zone matching -1; DR+; high ISO NR 'high'. (Here DR+ compensates darkening from low brightness and from the zone matching; sharpness up to +3 somehow doesn't look ugly at all.)

Shooting with NR off with further Noiseninja NR makes ISO 3200 look like ISO 400; most bright shots look great without any NR at all; ISO 6400 with NR is good for A4 print.

I'd say that the overall results are better than anything processed from RAW with further NR, no matter what the converter software.

Now I really wonder if the same trick could play well with A900 high ISO. Think it should...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
LOLNew
LOLNew
LOLNew
LOLNew
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow